Wednesday, June 06, 2007

blind date with whoorl

I started this blog a couple of years ago because my sister thought it would be a good way to stay caught up in each other’s lives. Well, she never blogs anymore, and as you know, I’m hit or miss when it comes to posting. I do read other people’s blogs often, and the weird thing is that you feel like you intimately know the people whose words you read on a daily basis.

Last night, Whoorl and I met for drinks at a restaurant in her neighborhood. Although we’d never met in person before, we had exchanged emails and comments so it felt like we already knew each other. We fell into conversation easily and covered the gamut of topics: kids, husbands, childbirth, work, blogging, the ridiculous price of real estate in California and more (and believe it or not, lip gloss DID NOT EVEN COME UP until the very end). I felt as if I had known her a while. Would I have discussed my retained placenta in gory detail with someone I’m meeting for the first time? Probably not. But with her, it seemed normal. And in my defense, I have to say she started it with some graphic detail of her own! I may have even let her in on a secret or two.

I don’t put a lot of effort into maintaining this blog and sometimes feel guilty about that. I also don’t really write on this blog as therapy, maybe because my tone is usually a little more tongue-in-cheek and tends toward sarcasm rather than true emotional openness. But if blogging is a way to not only stay caught up with people you already know, but to meet new friends and find things in common, that is really pretty cool.

So thanks Whoorl, I had a great time and would love to do it again!

p.s. Am quite jealous of your beautiful dark shiny hair.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Wow - taking your blogging into three dimensions is a big step -- way to be bold! ...whoorl hardly seems like the psycho stalker type though, a pretty safe bet. :)

whoorl said...

I had a great time, too!

I got in my car last night and realized I should have taken a photo for all the world to see. ;)

Oh well, next time!

p.s. - The lip gloss funk has officially disappeared after a quick trip to Sephora this morning.

Bearca said...

Whoorl - do tell! What did you buy?

whoorl said...

OH! I found the PERFECT pinkish nude creamy-ish color. It's NARS Foul Play and was a suggestion from Metalia (do you read her? She's great!), and she was so right. It doesn't wash me out, perfect for the day, good consistency.

I'm thinking you must try it pronto. :)