Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Conversations with 3-year olds: Inauguration Edition

Yesterday was an amazing and historic day. Even at my son’s preschool, they watched the inauguration on TV. When I picked him up, we had a conversation that went a little something like this:

Me: “What did you think of the inauguration?”

Evan: “I saw Barack Obama!”

Me: “What was he doing?”

Evan: “He was talking!”

Me: “What did he do when he finished talking?”

Evan: “He got in the car and drove across town. Mommy, did you know that Barack Obama lives in a white house?”

Me: “Yes.”

Evan: “We live in a white house too!”

Me: “Yes, we do. But Barack Obama’s house is special because that is where the President of the United States lives.”

Evan: “Our white house is special too.”

Me: “Um… yes it is.” (I can’t really argue with that one.)

I hope he remembers this day… I know I will.

No comments: