Friday, August 08, 2008

i'm bearca, i'm 34 years old and apparently i am wearing mom jeans.

I have been a devotee of boot-cut pants for many years. I don’t know why, but I was in J Crew recently and decided to try on a pair of what they call “matchstick” cords. They are more or less the dreaded skinny pants. They have a slim straight leg. I was mysteriously and strangely drawn to them and they looked darn good with the flats I was wearing that day. If I do say so myself.

However, I ended up putting them back, because I am just not a skinny pants person. Or am I? Honestly, it was as if the pants threw me into an existential crisis. I had never considered buying a pair of non-boot cut pants. But there is no LAW against it. Is there? Then I wondered, is this how people become stuck in a fashion time-warp… by never considering something new or different?

It’s not even like skinny pants are new or trendy or something. They have been around for a couple of years, I guess. I just assumed they do not apply to me. They are for The Kids. You know, Kids These Days! With their “iPods” and their “Facebook” and their “skinny jeans.” Wait a minute:

OMG, are boot-cut pants the new Mom Jeans?

I am obviously overthinking this.

I’m buying the pants.

5 comments:

whoorl said...

BUY THE PANTS. You have the figure for them, and I'm extremely JEALOUS.

whoorl said...

Wait.

ARE boot-cut pants the new Mom jeans?

Bearca said...

Whoorl - I sure hope not... otherwise my ENTIRE WARDROBE will need to be discarded. :)

David said...

which came first, the skinny pants or the iPhone?

Angella said...

Please tell me that boot-cut pants are not the new Mom jeans. Because if so, I have a closet FULL OF MOM JEANS.